So many options!

14 September 2011

Pollyanna-ing

My life has been going pretty well lately. I have great friends and a wonderful family. My roommates are pretty sweet. My house is pretty much all settled into (we hosted our first party last week!). I've lost ten pounds. I still have my job (not that I was really ever close to not having it). Autumn weather is setting in (my favorite season!) The Apocalypse is still yet to occur. Yes, I am indeed doing pretty well.

But a girl can still dream, right? You bet!

The imagination is one of the best things about being human (okay, I know that there are some of you out there who will think of all the exceptions to that statement...just go with me for a sec). But, anyways, when used well the imagination is the bomb-diggity. I use my imagination a lot, especially when it comes to decorating a room , scoping out and designing my next project, or trying to MacGyver some thing or other.

Today, I would like to invite you to take a tour with me through my dream house. Cooome alooong with meeee. Our tour starts in

Three.

Two.

One.


Welcome to my dream house! I am so glad that you could stop by today. I can't wait to show you around. Please, come in (yes, I am having an imaginary conversation...don't worry, totally normal).

This would be the foyer. It is done in a "Swedish Country" style. If you would, please, ignore the yellow bench. Because in my dream house, that would be replaced by this lovely bench. Complete with toile and all.

Yea for toile!
Now, we will go around the corner into the living/family room.


This room is oh-so-cozy. Please, imagine yourself sitting on that uber soft sofa, having a conversation with about...home decorating. When we get bored with that, we can walk across the room to the library...


..and look at some decorating books. There also will be other books, don't worry. So you can read about other things like psychology, philosophy, theology, political science, fiction, non-fiction...etc.

Going back in to the foyer and hallway, we will walk back to the kitchen. What do you see? Checkered floors!



The kitchen is in a rustic country style. I love the red accent cabinetry (in my real house, that window trim would not be red). The red with the black-and-white of the floor gives a cozy feel, I think. Perhaps I'd add a little throw rug in case I forget my slippers one morning. Oh, and maybe I would add a bit'o'wood polish to that table, looking a bit too rustic for me as is.

Now, I am always late, so this too would be fixated in my kitchen. With it, I most assuredly will never be late again.


Oh, also on the first floor there would be a dining room. the dining room would d have a wicked awesome chandelier made of Italian Christmas lights, wrapped around a wreath of branches.


Off of the dining room, there would be French doors leading back into the sun room.


Now, I probably would ditch the pallet wood and burlap table. And I would mostly elect to hang the mirror rather than just leaning it up against the wall. Why? Because, in all honesty, as much as I can like the look of a large mirror leaned against the wall, I can't seem to successfully pull off the look (or at least be satisfied with my attempts). So I know that I wouldn't have a mirror leaning against a wall in my dream home because I don't know how to do that. Oh, and please note, too, the Italian-Christmas lights that reappear in this room on the ceiling. Can you say "awesome"?

Down in the basement would be the laundry. My laundry room would be beautiful like this.


Since I clean my clothes when I do laundry, I prefer to do my laundry in a stylish environment to reflect how incredibly stylish of a dresser I am. That is why there would be a mirror (hanging on the wall) in the laundry room, so I can look at myself why I fold my underdrawers.

Across from the would be a little table booth. it would be very colorful--particularly with pink.


Why will this nook be in the basement? I most likely will end up married to a man who hates being overwhelmed with pink, I will relegate all of this glorious pinkness and frilliness to the basement because I will be so in love with him that I don't want him to drive him crazy. (I know, I am such a nice person).


Okay, back up the stairs, let's take a look at the rest of this dream house!

I cannot decide which of these two rooms would be my room and which would be the guestroom (or the children's room...actually I probably would need five children's room for the offensive number of kids I plan to have).



I like both of these rooms so much. the canopy set up of the first room is just dreamy. The bright and fresh colors are so relaxing too. The second room I find to be very cozy. Though there are the black accents, there is so much white (and a little gold) that it is not overwhelming. In fact, I find this room almost cozier than the first room. And those curtains are fabulous...Hmm, I think the second room would be my room. Which might be a good thing, because the black and white would much better match my jewelry box.


Oh, yay! Look at that jewelry box. For those of you who know me, I am sure you get a bit of a chuckle out of that jewelry storage, because you know how much I like my jewelry. (I admit, though, I would be slightly embarrassed if all of my jewelry filled this up. That might signal a problem...).

Last, but certainly not least, There would be an office area.



The office would be on the large side: Large enough for more than one person to work there at once, though only one person could get the desk. There would be the window nook with plenty of room to sit to read, work on a computer, take a nap, stare at whoever is at the desk...possibilities are endless, really. The nook is also large enough for multiple kiddos to occupy it. When they got bored of sitting there and whacking each other with the pillows, then they could practice piano.



Now THAT is a piano worth practicing on!! And I plan to practice upon it as well; there are few things in the world more magnificient than piano music.

Thank you so much for coming along with me on this little dream house tour!

(For links to all of the above pictures, please see my pinterest page. Thank you!)

1 comment:

  1. Mary! I love your dream house! Keep dreamin because i hope it becomes REAL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting--I love hearing from you!