So many options!

14 October 2011

Mix and match: Armoires and Mantles

In my last post I debuted my recent garage sale finds. You will recall that I scored this neat globe:


Meet the globe, he sometimes goes by "Planet Earth" or "World"
One thing you may not know about Mr. Globe is that he is "vintage," he is so cool that he still rocks out in the U.S.S.R.  
Yay, world history!

  
A little closer

Though not everyone is a fan of the U.S.S.R., I respectfully am still a fan of this garage sale find. I was nervous about buying because I wasn't sure if it would "fit" with my house. But, for a $1, this girl couldn't pass up an artifact such as this! (To be honest, I was interested more in the classy artistry, not the historical/vintage value).

It took a a number of tries to find the perfect place for this globe in its new home.

On the coffee table, perhaps?

Nope. Too big and doesn't match.

Not the side table either.

No--WAY too big!

It seemed like it was going to be a three-strikes-and-you're-outta-here kind of situation. I was beginning to get a little nervous that I couldn't find a place to put the globe. "Gosh, self, who cares if it was a buck, this globe works no where. You are turning into a hoarder!" I thought to myself.

In a last ditch effort to save face (for no one but myself, of course), I moved some things around on our armoire and--eureka!

No fail here
The globe fits right in on our armoire. But, this new arrangement presented another problem..what do I do with the floral-monument-thing (we are very technical and precise around here) that lost its place on the armoire to the globe?


When I first took the figurine off of the armoire, for convenience sake I stashed it on the fireplace mantle which is but an arm's reach from the armoire. This absent-minded action turned out for the best, I actually kind of liked how the figurine looked on the mantle. If you recall from the post about the living room, this is what our mantle originally looked like



After a little bit of time moving things around, I had this picture.


I liked the look of coupling the floral figurine with the milk-glass candy bowl (which we have turned on its side so people can see the cute patterned rim); however I wasn't too sold on the look of the figurine lined up with the candles and faux-floral plant--took much vertical-ness for me and I thought the various heights created a chaotic look.

Moving a few more things around and throwing in a few books, here's what I ended up with.


Even though I ended up decoupling the milk glass dish and figurine, I still like the outcome. I there there is a nice balance of traditional-classic flair (with the milk-glass dish, floral plate and figurine, and the lampshade) with a touch of mid-century modern practicality (the books, the faux berry tree plant and the candles).




This wraps the latest edition of "Mix-and-Match". I hope you enjoyed! Please share in the "Comments" section any updates you've made recently to your space, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting--I love hearing from you!