So many options!

02 May 2013

{pretty, happy, funny, real}

Linking up with Like Mother, Like Daughter's {pretty, happy, funny, real} blog series.

~Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life.~

This week is a bit of a hodge-podge for me. With that disclaimer out of the way: HereWeGo!

{pretty}

Yesterday I shared with you a mini-catalog of the thrift store scores I've gathered over the last year.  But I forgot the best one!

Delightful // Two serving bowls. Four soup bowls (stacked). And a gravy boat.
I picked these up from a consignment antique shop in Hinsdale, Illinois, earlier this spring. I was visiting Chicago that weekend to see my dear sister, Rosie, and we ventured out to Hinsdale to see one of my BFFLs, Kathleen, (whose wedding I stood up in last year!) who was in town that weekend as well visiting her in-laws. Before meeting up with Kat, however, Rose and I, along with Rose's roommate Chelsea, hit up a bunch of the cute Hinsdale shops (yes, there are many).
My mom had told us about this one antique shop that we had to go to, but she couldn't remember the name. After roaming the streets (and stopping in a ton of stores), we finally found it. I am so glad we did or else I wouldn't have found these darling china pieces. 


Before that day, I had never thought too seriously about [1] buying china or [2] buying red china. I always have liked blue china SO much more and typically pass by red china, thinking, "Eh, it's pretty. Too bad it's not blue." (High maintenance? haha). Perhaps it was the cold, damp, overcast weather..maybe it was the fact that I was shopping with Rose and Chelsea..but that day, the red fine china looked supa-fine indeed. It then dawned on me that it would match my current daily china.


With that, I snatched up the china and headed home! ("Home" = Rose and Chelsea's house).

{funny}




As I have mentioned around the blog before, I work at a university. The last day of classes was yesterday, thus *officially* beginning the drudge of finals. My office building neighbors the campus's main library, which means that I walk by said library twice a day (coming to work in the morning; leaving in the evening). On my morning walk this past Tuesday I saw this:

Where are the Law&Order folks when you need them?
Uuhhhh? Now, before I get ahead of myself in accessing the situation, this did occur on a college campus. As most people know, college is a time of angst-y yet hilarious (and sometimes really annoying) self-centeredness. Shenanigans abound endlessly. It's like a reversion to toddlerdom, and campus is one massive playground. The only thing markedly different is that parents aren't necessarily around to keep you in line. (unless you have helicopter parents...by I digress). Anyways. Here we are upon finals. Mix college kids with class-less days, stress, and profound sleep-deprivation, and you might have something like the above pictured on your hands! It is a bit different from what I saw during finals last semester..

Bikes: To infinity and beyond. {From Instagram}

{real}


Bad news bears! See the gravy boat above? Look a little closer:


I won't be getting much food-use out of it due to human accident. On the bright side, it's just the gravy boat. It's not like I have gravy everyday and am not at loss for how to gargle my gravy. And, what's more, I found all of the pieces when it did break so I have been able to mend it pretty well. (Although the scalding hot glue made it a little challenging to position the pieces more closely together.)


In my mind, the boat isn't entirely useless. I have grand plans (I only fixed it about a week ago) to put it on display somewhere in the house. I'll keep you updated on where it ends up! 

{happy}

I saved this part for last. Because, well, the awkward thing is that I don't have any pictures to share something {happy} with you. Don't get me wrong, I actually am fairly happy with my life right now, I just can't seem to think of something that I could share with you this week. The highlight of every one's life right now is the glorious weather we have been having, but I told you all about that last week. Instead of repeating that, I will leave you with this:


And that sure is something to be happy about, isn't it?



Linking to:
round button chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting--I love hearing from you!