So many options!

11 June 2013

Decisions: That which makes grown (wo)men cry.

In the years that I have been "living on my own" (I put that in "quotes" since I've always had roommates--I'd hate to live totally by myself. The loneliness would STANK) and thus in charge of making my house into my home, I occasionally have felt quite confused about what exactly "my style" is. Sure, there are lots of things that I like--whenever I flip through a magazine, go shopping, or browse online, I see many individual items or even whole rooms that make me say, "Ohmuhgersh! I lurve that so matsch!" (yes, I sometimes talk in strange voices when I am overcome with excitement). 


But, then, there is that awful moment when I am working on a room (like the living room and the bedroom in my former house) and I suddenly don't like any of the choices that are in front of me because [1] they don't flow with the style of of rooms in my house, [2] I am not thrilled by the thought of living in the space that these particular options would create, [3] all of a sudden I hate everything in every store I shop, or [4] whatever other reason my brain all of a sudden makes all options look blah.

This is where Pinterest has been quite helpful to me. If you don't know what Pinterest is, then educate yo'self. 


Anyways, Pinterest. Ah, yes, it is a place of many possibilities. Some people observe/complain that it affords viewers too much possibilities, rendering them unsatisfied with what real life has to offer them. While this certainly can true, I discovered it not just a place of inspiration ("pinspiration" as some might say), but also a place that helped me better determine what is "my style."


Rummaging through my 1,500+ pins (don't worry, that number pales in comparison to some others), I see a definite trend. I am all about rooms being cozy and home-y. People gots to be able to relax!

a good chair for curling up to read a book
Rooms that are well-lit. I prefer natural, accent, or soft, ambient lighting, as opposed to harsh or ceiling light. 


Design elements and details that recall earlier times are quite charming to me. Whole rooms that come straight from a catalog or a hotel are most unpleasant. I love personal touches, a room that tells a story because it looks like it is lived in by real people. 


family photos
Also, I looove color! At a certain point in time, I thought my style might have been eclectic (an "official" style, in design lingo). I've come to realize that, no, I am not a pure-bred eclectic in taste. Perhaps it is because of my OCD tendencies, but a room that has too much going on (too many contrasting colors, patterns, or styles) begins to feel a little claustrophobic to me.

this is probably as eclectic as I could ever go. even then, it might overwhelm me on a bad day
A good vintage floral print can make my heart swoon (mixed metaphors? oh well). Though, I don't think I'd like a room that is overladen with vintage prints or too much florals. The right amount, however, can be perfection.

gotta be careful waking up under that slanted ceiling. 
Another thing about florals is that, wen done right, it can go marvelously well with other prints and textures!


As a person who notices details (sometimes to an embarrassing extent--seriously) I particularly appreciate where someone goes the extra mile to decorate a little niche in their home. Perhaps this comes to me from my grandmother, who thinks of making the most insignificant thing beautiful. 

I could hang out in this bathroom for a lot longer than I needed to
I would be remiss to not note that I am a sucker--a totally sucker--for things that are used in unexpected ways. Some people are just so darn creative! The creativity of others completely delights me, while maybe also stoking my competitive side, "how did they think of that?!"

lampshade used with a pendant light
create two rooms with curtains 
Last, and this is related to the first: What is most important to me in a room is that it is comfortable. Comfortable? Isn't that a little subjective? Well, yes, I suppose it could be. Ultimately, home should be where you feel most comfortable. But, I also want my home to feel comfortable to other people too

i'd hate for my design choices to turn out like this
There it is, folks. I'm not sure if I have a quick fill-in to this statement year "my personal style is _____." I am feeling much more confident in my design adventures. Though Pinterest didn't give me my style, it was quite helpful in helping me hone it down. So, for that, thanks, Pinterest! 

But, more importantly, thank you for also giving me a few hours of good laughs:
every parent wants one of these
honest abe. you can always count on him.
i totally hate when that happens
Barbie without makeup. Priceless.



this is how cats really are. i'm not kidding.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I also don't have a specific "style" but just like creating a space that looks pretty and homey but is comfortable and easy to live in. Also, love all the florals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tess! I used to stress out about this (okay, I sometimes still catch myself doing it). But now, it definitely helps to have some personal guidelines!

      Delete
  2. Dear Mary,

    I would like to make a statement on behalf of all men: decorative pillows, when the revolution comes, will be the first to be lined up against the wall and shot. They serve no purpose, and everyone's always moving them to sit down, and then moving them back in place when they get up, and then hearing them fall on the floor when the bed you're sleeping in has hundreds of them and you tried to climb into bed without disturbing them too much by piling them on the other side of the bed but you failed and now it sounds like stupid sandbags are falling on the floor every time you roll over, except you're thinking that sand bags would be way more useful because they would protect the house in a flood and the only thing decorative pillows are used for in movies is shooting people through them with a silenced pistol to prevent traceable gunpowder deposits on the victim, and who wants to make an assassin's life easier?! You know what I mean?

    Could you give an apologia for decorative pillows? I think not.

    Peace,
    John S.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Touche, John! The best apologia I can give for pillows is two points: [1] They're pretty!!! and [2] They're good for the occasions when you otherwise are sitting in an uncomfortable seat.

      and [3] They come in handy when one's food-baby needs to be hidden behind something ;)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting--I love hearing from you!